The main objectives of the Somali Research and Education Network include the following:
- Promote and facilitate research and education networking among Somali Universities and Research organizations
- Create stronger negotiating positions and get better terms of participating organizations in dealing with:
a. Government and regulatory agencies on issues related to policy and regulations
b. Suppliers of hardware, software, online resources and bandwidth including getting benefits arising out of economies of scale
c. Development partners on issues of common benefit
d. Interconnecting with other research and education networks worldwide
- Explore ways of overcoming the high cost of information systems through pooling resources and sharing, where feasible, costs for common software, and promoting collaboration in areas that may include but are not limited to:
a. E-Learning systems to help deliver common online courses
b. Library information systems that allow us to easily digitize and share our collections
- Explore new avenues for other value-added services as may be needed from time to time in support of higher education and research networking in Somalia/Land
- To act as a focal point in relation to the many initiatives on Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) in education and research networking, being undertaken around the world.
- Mainstream peace building initiatives, gender and youth activities in all SomaliREN undertakings to secure sustainable co-existence as lead agents of change in the country.